Presenters Jon Landesman of Cohen Seglias and Dara DeRoiste from the Department of Labor discussed what employers need to do to ensure a safe, productive workplace, do’s and don’ts with respect to employees holding prescriptions for medical marijuana, employer obligations under the ADA and ADAAA, and employer rights.
Why Should You Attend:
The line between legal and illicit drug use, particularly when marijuana is involved, has become increasingly blurry. Employers in locations with medical marijuana laws who wish to ensure a safe, productive workplace must know what they can and cannot do with respect to employees holding prescriptions for medical marijuana. Are they covered under the ADA/ADAAA? If so, what are –and aren’t—you obligated to do? Taking proactive steps to learn your rights and responsibilities before a question arises is the smart thing to do. This workshop will help you do exactly that.
- Handling conflicts between state and federal marijuana laws
- Marijuana and the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Enforcing drug-free workplace policies
- Employment law regarding drug testing
- Policies and Procedures – staying in legal compliance
- How to initiate the ADA’s “interactive process”
- OSHA regulations employers must remember
- Fitness for Duty and Direct Threat – how these regulations play a critical part
- Tips for inquiring about legal drug use by employees